John instructs us, Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. 16 For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. 17 And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever. (NLT)
- Christians need to question if they are growing or going backwards, as
there’s no other alternative.
- A believer doesn’t backslide overnight; it’s a slow, but sure, process. Things of the world gradually start looking more appealing than things of God.
- To keep growing, at least three things are required: 1) you must read, study and love God’s Word. 2) You must pray without ceasing. 3) You must be actively involved in the Church.
Hebrews 10:24-25, 24 Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. 25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near. (NLT)
- How can you love God whom you can’t see, if you do not love His people whom you can see? Not going to church is proof that something is wrong with you spiritually.
1 John 2:19 These people left our churches, but they never really belonged with us; otherwise they would have stayed with us. When they left, it proved that they did not belong with us.(NLT)
- We go to church to serve others, if we are mature Christians. We don’t choose a church based on its facilities, or how good the singing or music is.
- The Church exists for three reasons, 1) the glorification of God, 2) the edification of the saints, and 3) the evangelization of the world.
So which is it? Are you growing forward or going backward?